- Introduction and user guide
- 1. What is climate change?
- 2. What can we do?
- 3. Policy and partnerships
- 4. Youth unit
2d. Health, WASH and climate
Climate change is one of the greatest threats to public health in the 21st century.
It requires urgent action at scale, globally.
Currently climate change already causes an estimated 150,000 deaths annually. A highly conservative projection of WHO estimates that approximately 250,000 additional deaths will occur each year due to climate change between 2030 and 2050. Children in developing countries will be the most affected.
This module supports staff and volunteers to address the adverse impacts of climate change on human health. There are dedicated thematic guides, such as the City heatwave guide, that can support scaling of actons to reduce health risks of heatwaves. But there are also interactive exercises for groups to grow the understanding and allow for contextualized discussions on relevant local actions to reduce health risks aggravated by climate change.
Health, livelihoods, disasters are all inextricably linked, so there are many overlaps with other modules, especially with 2a Early warning early action and 2c Community resilience and climate.
- What is in this module?
- Powerpoint presentations with notes
2d. Climate change and health
This presentation shows the impacts of climate change upon health (part I) and elaborates
on the work NSs can undertake to address these risks with a few examples (Part 2).
2d Presentation Climate and WaSH
This presentation is a more specialised summary of the effects of climate change in relation to Water,
Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
2d Climate finance and health: a major gap
This presentation (with notes for the facilitator) offers insights in how climate finances is not addressing
the urgent and serious health risks posed by climate change.
- 2d. Climate change and health
2d Game: A buzz about dengue
This game aims to create awareness about the cause and consequences of dengue, while discussing
how to reduce the risk of transmission
2d Handwashing with Ananse
Learn why, how and when to wash your hands with water and soap.
2d Climate and health QUIZ
A quiz on climate and its impacts on health; let two teams have fun in a competition!
- 2d Game: A buzz about dengue
2d Exercise 1 - Climate change and health impacts
This exercise helps participants understand how climate change impacts health, wash and livelihoods, and
how these impacts are often interrelated and cascading.
2d Exercise 1 - MATERIAL for climate change cause and effect
Materials for the exercise: paper slips for brainstorming - to cut into slips for the groups
2d Exercise 2A - WASH scenarios
This exercise explores the WASH actions that could be taken based on early warning information available at time scales from years to hours – to gear the WASH efforts to changing climate risks
2d Exercise 2B - Heatwave scenarios
This exercise explores the heatwave actions that could be taken based on early warning information available at time scales from years to hours – to gear the plan for more extreme heatwaves to come
2d Exercise 3 - Social-Environmental-Determinants of Health
An energizing exercise where participants are given different ‘characteristics’ experience how their role shapes their vulnerabilities, opportunities and ability to react to different climate change risks.
- 2d Exercise 1 - Climate change and health impacts
- Relevant reading
- 2d IFRC Health and WASH in a changing climate
- 2d Heatwave guide for cities
- 2d City Heatwave Guide 2019 for Red Cross Red Crescent branches
- 2d Factsheet heatwaves in cities (short)
- 2d IFRC Dengue advocacy
- Factsheet on mental health and climate change
- 2d IFRC Dengue, Zika, Chikungunya community module
- 2d IFRC Zika, Dengue, Chikungunya school module
- 2d Extreme heat during the Covid-19 pandemic
- 2d Lancet 2020 Countdown: Tracking progress on health and climate change
- 2d. French Red Cross: Taking care of humankind at +2C warming
- 2d UNICEF Climate Resilient WASH programming
- WHO health and climate change country profiles
- Red Cross/ Red Crescent example(s)
- 2d Health Risk Management in a changing climate. A project in Kenya, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Indonesia
- 2d Climate and Health Risk Management: A training manual for volunteers, developed by the Tanzania Red Cross
- 2d City Heatwave Guide for Red Cross Red Crescent Branches: Case studies from page 52 -64.
- 2d WHO and Bulgaria Red Cross: a thematic advocacy workshop based on the Lancet Countdown Report 2020
- Frequently asked questions or checklist